Thursday, April 8, 2010

Two Months at the Gym

A little over two months ago, my dad came through town on a business trip and spent the evening with us. While he was here, he bought us a family membership to the gym located a few minutes from our house. In the past two months, the boys and I have spent a LOT of time at this gym. Caleb took swim lessons there twice a week last month, and the boys and I spend an hour and a half there every Mon, Wed and Fri morning . I also take the boys swimming at the pool at least one morning a week, and sometimes on the weekend as well.

When we first got the membership, I had not worked out on any regular basis since college (more than eight years ago), and I really had no idea of the best way to get started. So I got a schedule of all the different classes and picked an aerobics class that looked promising. I went to one class and thought it was boring. I also didn't like having to rush the boys to get to the gym at a certain time, so on to Plan B.

The next time, I just loaded the boys up at an opportune time (which is a time that neither they nor I am in the middle of something) and we arrived at an odd time when no classes were starting. So I dropped them off in the play room and headed upstairs to run laps on the indoor track. I ran (i.e. jogged) for about 20 minutes and then I walked downstairs to the weight room.

I'm sure that I looked more than a little lost, because several different people asked me if I needed help and offered various unsolicited pointers throughout my weight workout. That first day, I spent most of my time figuring out the machines and reading all of the little instruction panels on each machine. Even though I didn't do that much weight lifting that first day, I was SO SORE the next day. Especially my poor legs, which hadn't been used for running in way too long.

Over the next couple of weeks, I honed my cardio/weights work-out routine down to an art form. I can only leave the boys in childcare for 90 minutes, so everything I do is on a tight schedule: I drop the boys off, pick up a locker assignment at the front desk, put my bag in the locker and head for the cardio room. I spend 22-25 minutes running on the treadmill (because the track started hurting my knees). Then I make a beeline for the weight room and do my 3 sets each on the 15 machines that I use each day. Usually, I end up running out of time and have to skip the last weight machine on my list. Then I spend about five minutes stretching (I should spend more, but the clock is running!), and head for the shower. I always end up turning my blow dryer off within a minute or two of my childcare time being up, so I speedwalk back to the play room and greet my two little men: the younger one runs into my arms, but I have to pry the older away from whatever Disney movie he is watching.

I have had no interest in working out since running with my college roommate, but now I really do love it and can't imagine my week without it. Thanks again, Dad!

2 comments:

April said...

Way to go, Rachel! It really feels good to use your body and be in shape. You've always looked nice, but I'm sure you feel even better about yourself just knowing you are in shape. I, too, have been back in the gym regularly lately. I began going twice a week last May, but stopped after the appendectomy in August. By late October I was back in the swing of things. A couple months ago I increased to five trips weekly and that seems to make a bigger difference for me. I do 35+ minutes of cardio daily, and full body weights twice a week. Glad you're enjoying the gym!! Wish we were closer and could go together.

katherine said...

2010 has been a year of getting even healthier for you and your family with all your veggies and gym work outs. I am still trying to figure out a way to make working out work with two kids, but really I just need to make it more of a priority. You're and inspiration!