Friday, April 23, 2010

Injury Drama

I know every parent has things their kids do that are exceptionally annoying. Caleb's thing that gets me more than anything is hyper-focusing on any injury for hours or even days. A skinned knee renders him lame for the afternoon, a bump on his head makes washing his hair that evening an excruciating experience, and heaven forbid anyone should suggest removing a splinter. He is terrified of blood and needles, just like I was. Even though I also dramatized every scratch and bump as a child (or perhaps because I did), I have little patience for his over-reactions. He is so effected by a scrape on his leg that he will wail, "I can't walk" and remain planted wherever he is for up to an hour. When he gets like this, I refuse to bring him the things he asks for. He loses priviliges and opportunities for fun when he shuts down into this defeatism. I know it bothers me because I so dislike the fatalism that I have to struggle against, and I will myself to have extra grace. But at the same time, I want to do everything I can to help him overcome that in his life.

No comments: