Friday, April 16, 2010

Playing It Cool

A couple of nights ago, Marcus and I took the boys to the sports park just down the road from our house, so they could ride their bikes and watch some older boys play baseball. Caleb and I were walking ahead of Marcus and Ethan, since Ethan is slower on the scooter than Caleb is on the bike. Caleb and I came upon a group of five-year-olds waiting for their T-ball game to begin. One of the boys exclaimed pretty loudly, "Wow, look at that cool bike!" Caleb, without missing a beat, pedaled slowly on by without turning in their direction or cracking a smile. At first, I thought he hadn't heard them, but, at just the moment that we were alongside the group of watching boys, he moved his hand silently to the handlebar that, when turned, makes the sound of a revving motorcycle. He "revved" the handlebar twice, extracting several admiring comments from the boys, and continued without a sideways glance. I bit my lip to keep from laughing out loud, so as not to blow his super-cool moment. When we were way out of ear shot, he turned to me with a smile and said, "Those boys really liked my bike, didn't they?"

Did he really just turn four? The other day, I made him wear a white shirt under his polo as an undershirt. It was a school day, and he protested the extra shirt by saying, "None of my friends at school have to wear two shirts! Everyone at my school only wears ONE shirt...ONE, ONE, ONE shirt! I'm the only boy who wears two shirts!" Seriously? Does this stuff start already?

No comments: