Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe

I have always really enjoyed reading, and so there are always grown-up books laying around the house. Caleb and Ethan frequently pick up one of my books and ask me to read it to them, so I explain that there are no pictures and it is a story for grown-ups. The other day, Marcus was reading Total Truth, one of his favorites, and Caleb asked him to read it out loud. So he did, for a few minutes. Caleb listened so well that I thought it might be time to break out a chapter book for him, so I went upstairs and got The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

I'm not sure how old I was when my mom started reading The Chronicles of Narnia to me, but I'm pretty sure I was older than four. I was very surprised when Caleb (and Ethan) sat and listened to a whole chapter of the story. Since that day last week, we have read five more chapters together, and the boys (especially Caleb) are really into it. Ethan goes around fighting (invisible) white witches and saying "The Lion...The Witch...The War-dobe" in a sing-song voice. Caleb likes to pretend that he is the trouble-making Edmund in the story, and Marcus and I are assigned various parts, according to the game at hand. It is very fun to have them so excited about one of my very favorite stories from childhood.

No comments: