Thursday, July 15, 2010

Strikes #5, #6 and #7

First of all, thank you so much to all of you who expressed your sympathy and encouragement after my last post. It is really wonderful to have understanding friends. I was so bolstered by laughing at my ludicrous week with you that I took the next day's setbacks in stride. First, I got a notice in the mail saying that our mortgage escrow had a shortage, so our monthly payment would be going up $75 a month for the next 12 months. Later that morning, I took our video camera to Best Buy, because it had been acting up a little when I was trying to show my Mom some home videos the night before. The Geek Squad looked it over and told me two things: (1) the 4-year maintenance plan we bought from Best Buy when we bought the camera expired a few months ago, and (2) the part of the digital camcorder that was not working was the most expensive part, and it would cost more than the camera was worth to repair it (we bought it for $780 when Caleb was born) . Basically, our video camera has been totaled. Finally, after the kids woke up from their nap, I noticed that the house was unusually warm. I checked the thermostat, and, sure enough, it was 80 degrees when it should have been 76. I switched the thermostat from “auto” to “fan on”, but even after 2 hours of that, it was still 80 degrees in the house. I called the AC guy and he’s coming tomorrow afternoon.

Things going wrong this week has become so absurd that all I can do is laugh about it. I did tell a friend that, if we had a lottery here in Alabama, then I would buy a lottery ticket and then give it away, so that my bad luck could at least benefit somebody :) On the bright side, AT&T fixed the phones since I wrote the last post, so I am 1 for 7 on turning this ship around. Hopefully, the new modem will come in the mail tomorrow, so we will be back online as well.

No comments: