Thursday, July 1, 2010

Home, Sweet Home

Despite our hectic, on-the-go lives, I really am a homebody. I love being at home. In fact, if given a choice between going somewhere or staying home, I would usually choose to stay home. (The reason we are on-the-go so much is that Marcus and the boys usually prefer to go somewhere.) Anyway, I've been on a "we're-home-again!" high since we got home from Florida on Sunday night. Without further ado, here are the top five reasons I am happy to be home:

(1) Veggies! After eating fast food and take-out for over a week, I couldn't wait to get home and cook some fresh vegetables. The first night we were back, we had baked chicken with okra and corn on the cob. It was delicious! And I've got more okra, green beans, squash, more corn, potatoes, and lots of fresh fruit stocked up for the rest of the week. (The boys ate so much fresh fruit the first three days we were home that I was a little worried there would be repercussions.) It is definitely good to eat home-cooking again :)

(2) Computer! I missed my time online. I managed to check my email every day, and even write a couple of blog posts while we were gone, but I did miss my regular down time at my computer desk each night.

(3) My house! As much as I can, I leave the house spic and span before we go on a trip. I love coming home to clean floors, clean bathrooms, clean sheets, empty clothes hampers, and a very tidy house. I was able to pull that off this time, and it has been SO NICE to come home to a house that looks beautiful and needs no (immediate) attention from me.

(4) The weather! It was HOT in Florida. I don't remember being outside at any time of day the whole week where the heat wasn't stifling to me. I loved waking up at home on Monday morning to temperatures in the upper 70's. It gets very hot during the afternoon here in June, July & August, but the mornings and evenings are still nice most days. The boys and I played outside for a couple of hours Monday morning without breaking a sweat, and I once again felt so thankful for the milder climate we enjoy here.

(5) My bed! I'm not one of those people who can't sleep if I'm not in my own bed, but that doesn't mean I don't miss it when I'm out of town. Marcus and I splurged and bought a king-sized mattress from Sam's a couple of years ago, and now we have a hard time sleeping well on a queen bed (or smaller). Part of that is because we always share our bed with Ethan for at least part of the night, but the other part is that we've gotten used to spreading out.

We had a great time with family, but it is also very good to be home :)

1 comment:

April said...

Welcome home! I was just playing catch up on my blogging. Looks like you had a fantastic trip! I agree, though, it is always good to get home.