Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nanna’s Visit

My mom (the boys’ Nanna), came into town for a few days to help out while Marcus was out of town. Sadly, in the chaos of our electronic degeneration, I never took the camera out, so I don’t have any pics to post. While Nanna was here, we went to the library, church, the McWane Center, and Caleb’s gymnastics lesson. We also spent a lot of time hanging around the house, watching the boys play. One night, Nanna put the boys to bed for me so I could go out for a late dinner with a good friend who is moving to New Hampshire this week. Deb and I had a great evening together, and I'm so glad Nanna was able and willing to help out like that. Another afternoon, Nanna and Ethan enjoyed some one-on-one time at home instead of going with Caleb and me to a birthday party. The two of them invented a really fun game where they both sit at the craft table and roll a little ball back and forth, as fast as they can. Ethan loved it!

I was happy to see that Nanna's health is better than it has been in years. She doesn't use a wheel chair or a cane anymore, and her walking is just a little slower than the average person's. She's weaned herself from most of the drugs she used to take for MS, and she says she has more energy than she's had in years. She is still working full time as a school counselor, and this is the first year that she finished the year with enough energy that she was sure she could return to work again at the end of the summer. Even the gastroparesis she was diagnosed with over a year ago has improved a lot: she can eat a lot more variety and in greater quantities without adverse effects. I am very glad she is doing so much better physically.

The boys didn't want to take Nanna back to the airport early Wednesday morning, but I assured them that Christmas would come quicker than they thought :)

No comments: