Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hair Cuts

Since we moved to B'ham, I have been cutting Caleb & Ethan's hair on my own at home. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look awful either, and its free, so I keep on doing it. But, since the boys' birthday and Easter pictures are coming up in the next couple of weeks, I decided to cough up the money to have their hair cleaned up and cut by someone who knows what he's doing. I called a bunch of places on Saturday morning, surprised how many salons didn't cut children's hair. I finally found one who would, and then made an appointment, since the guy who did kids' hair was booked all day Saturday.

So the boys went to their first hair appointment yesterday morning, and it went amazingly well. I came equipped with our portable DVD player, in case sitting still wasn't on anyone's agenda that day, but they were so interested in Mr. Mickey and the process that we hardly needed it. Mr. Mickey was as personable and engaging as could be. He carried on an in-depth conversation with Ethan through the whole hair cut, all the time raving about how good and patient and still Ethan was (which was actually very much impressing me as well). He usually gives out snacks or treats, but he was completely out, so he gave each of the boys a whole DOLLAR as a reward for being so good during their hair cuts. (And this after only charging $7 each for the hair cuts!) Caleb was equally well-behaved, and my normally reticient son even opened up and chatted happily with fascinating Mr. Mickey.

The boys were being so charming and polite and cooperative that I got to sit back and enjoy that peaceful feeling of well-being that a mother gets when her children really make her proud. Of course that feeling was followed shortly by the realization that I'd better get them out of there as soon as the hair cuts were done, because everything was just going too beautifully to last.

Sure enough, Ethan dropped his lollipop on our way out the door, and I had to say thank you and goodbye over his grief-ridden wails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are super cute.

And love your posts! I'm always excited to read on a new topic.