Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Birthday Party!

We gave the boys another joint birthday party this year (I wonder how many more years I am going to be able to get away with that?). This year, the weather cooperated and we were able to have the party outside at a park. In invited all of the kids in our church small (large) group plus two more from Marcus's work, and 17 of the 18 were able to come! Glad I had plenty of party favors :)

The boys are really into Dora the Explorer right now (thank you, Netflix Instant Queue), and they wanted to have a Dora party. I talked them into making it a Dora and Diego party, for obvious reasons. I didn't do much to keep the party on theme except having a Dora & Diego cake and balloons, but I'm pretty sure nobody noticed that everything else was from the Dollar Store :) And instead of doing a goodie bag as a party favor, I decided to buy all the party guests cute little sun hats from Old Navy, blue for the boys and pink for the girls. The kids looked so cute wearing matching "explorer" hats.

I have to admit, the party didn't go off without a hitch. I pulled up at the park about an hour before the party was supposed to start, and the parking lot was completely full. My heart sank when I realized that another group was using the park for an Easter Egg Hunt that same morning. Thankfully, there were two small, unclaimed picnic tables, which I covered with our party snacks, cake and balloons. The Easter egg hunt was scheduled to begin at 10:00 am, exactly the same time as Caleb & Ethan's party. Also thankfully, the Easter egg hunt went very quickly, and our party guests were almost all late, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The park was still very busy the rest of the morning, but the party went on.

More pictures and stories from the party in tomorrow's post :)

1 comment:

katherine said...

Happy birthday to both your boys. I think the explorer hats make a much better party favor than trinkets from the dollar store. And I'll bet your boys will never won't remember the hitches, just the fun.