Monday, August 3, 2009

Girls' Night

The families in our church small group have decided to take turns having a girls' or guys' night out. For the guys night out last month, Marcus planned a full night. They met for bowling at 5:00 pm, then went to a baseball game at 7:00, and then to a late movie after the game. Marcus got home sometime after midnight (I was asleep), fully satisfied with his 7-hour guys' night out.

The first weekend in August was the girls' turn, and so we did ours this past Saturday. Unlike the guys, who had planned several activities, the five of us just wanted to talk. So we met at a Thai restaurant/sushi bar at 6:00, ate a leisurely dinner, and then went to one of the girl's houses to chat. (Her husband was very obliging and went down to the basement to play video games after he put the kids to bed.) We had a movie to watch, but we had so much fun visiting that we never put it in. I had not been to a girls' night out since we moved to Birmingham, and boy did I have fun! We played a game called "I Never...", which produced a lot of hilarious stories. We laughed so much that I'm pretty sure I burned off most of my dinner just laughing. When we were just about laughed out, the conversation turned more serious and we shared some of our struggles, fears and insecurities. There is something so cathartic about opening your heart to caring and trustworthy ears. It is encouraging to be reminded that others have walked the same path as I have at different points in their lives, and to hear how God has guided them.

I often poke fun at myself on this blog (and elsewhere) for being so emotional; but on nights like this Saturday, I'm actually grateful for my vast capacity to feel. My heart is full of love for these girls who have become so dear to me, and I'm so glad I had this opportunity to express it. We talked until we couldn't keep our eyes open, and I finally headed home a little after midnight. I think Marcus was a little surprised when I told him we hadn't done anything after dinner except talk for five hours. He probably thinks I need to get out without the kids more :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sounds like my kind of girls' night too!