Monday, August 17, 2009

Car Talk

One thing Marcus and I are very guilty of as parents is talking to each other like the kids aren't listening when we're in the car. We are usually playing music, and the kids are both very quiet in the car (most of the time), so we just sit and chat about everything without thinking too much about how closely they may be listening. A few days ago, we were talking about something or other and the word "sex" was used. I said it in the middle of a sentence without any pause or inflection, but Caleb still picked up on the one word spoken that he didn't already know.

"Daddy, what is 'sex'?" he piped up. I was thinking: "He's only 3! I'm not ready for this question! What can I say that is true but not too much information?" Marcus, clearly more prepared than I, recovered the situation with "Well, Caleb, it's in between 5 and 7 when you are counting: four, five, six, seven, eight." Caleb accepted that with a happy, "Oh, I see!" (and probably wondered why it took us a few long seconds to answer such a simple question). Marcus says his answer will probably buy us 6 months. I'm hoping that with a little more discretion on my part, we may have a couple of years before he throws that one at us again :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

HAHAHA - I'll have to remember that one!

sonyagraykey said...

ha, ha! We've already had "the talk" (first of MANY) with L. It went well. Honesty is best! I'm sure y'all will do well explaining it when you feel ready...or when he realizes there is a difference b't the words six & sex. :)