Friday, August 20, 2010

It's In There Somewhere

I had the funniest and, at the same time, most rewarding conversation with Caleb the other day. It was just after his nap, and he was grumpy. He was sitting in the playroom amongst some toys with a sour expression on his face. I was folding clothes a few feet away from him, and I decided to use a little humor to cheer him up. I told him that I was glad to see that he was complying with the "No Happiness" hour I had declared. I warned him that if I saw one drop of happiness squeezing out of the corner of his mouth, he would have to go to time out. Of course, he started grinning a bit in spite of himself, so I kept going. I told him in a very sour voice that I was grumpy and I wanted everyone else to be grumpy, too. He surprised me by replying very seriously that it wasn't right for me to try to make other people grumpy with my grumpiness, and I needed to go to my room until I had a better attitude. I loved hearing one of my sermonettes from his little mouth, so I kept the game going with more phrases and ideas that he frequently sends my way.

Mommy: (glowering) I am just grumpy because nobody ever does what I want them to do!
Caleb: (very seriously) Mommy, you can't make other people do what you want them to do.
Mommy: (angrily) But I HAVE to! I will never, ever be happy again 'cause nobody does what I want!
Caleb: (very soberly) Mommy, it is your choice whether you will be happy or not, but you can't make people do what you want. (a bit more cheerfully) You can ask them nicely, and they might do what you want, if you ask nicely.
Mommy: (glumly) But sometimes I ask nicely and they STILL don't listen to me.
Caleb: That's just the way it is, Mommy. There is nothing you can do to make people do what you want all the time.

At this point I laughed out loud, and he joined me, effectively ending the role play. But I was very happy to hear him articulate so well the lessons that I'm not ever sure are sinking in. I guess this proves that they are in there somewhere!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy says: Hilarious and heartwarming.

Jennifer said...

This is greatness. What a clever mom you are!

katherine said...

I love it! Kids are like little sponges, but it's always nice to hear they're soaking up the good stuff.

April said...

It is always encouraging to hear the evidence that they really are listening and "getting it." Glad to know you had such a fun/sweet/profound conversation with him. I enjoyed reading about it!