Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

For the long weekend, the four of us drove to Searcy to visit my parents. We hadn't been on a road trip with the kids since Christmas, and two new road trip "hazards" have entered the arena since then. The first is arguing in the car. Now that Ethan can talk so well, the boys get into lengthy and exasperating arguments in the car.

Caleb: I saw a big truck in my window.
Ethan: I saw it, too. It was a yellow truck.
Caleb: No, it was gray.
Ethan: No, it was yellow.
Caleb: NO, IT WAS GRAY!
Mommy: That's enough boys, you've both stated your opinion, now drop it and talk about something else.
(15 seconds later)
Ethan: I saw the biggest truck ever in my window.
Caleb: No you didn't. The gray truck was the biggest truck ever.
Ethan: NO IT WASN'T!!
Mommy: ENOUGH!

The other hazard is potty breaks. It was not a piece of cake dealing with Caleb's potty breaks on the way to Texas at Christmas, but having two kids going potty all the time was MUCH less fun. We stopped to go potty so many times. A couple of times with Ethan, we would stop for #1 and then 20 minutes later for #2. It was almost enough for me to want to put him back in diapers for our trip to Florida this summer (but that would require me buying diapers, which I refuse to do, so that course of action is highly unlikely).

Other than the road trip challenges, we had a very relaxing visit. Ethan had a low-grade fever and a cough most of the weekend, so we didn't attempt to do much outside of hanging around the house and a couple of trips to nearby parks, but the kids still had a great time with Papa and Nanna. A few years ago, my parents made their den into a play room, and the boys entertained themselves very well with Nanna & Papa's toys (of course, taking many breaks from the toys to read books with Nanna).

And here is one funny story to go with the pictures before I wrap up: At one point in the weekend, Ethan was in time out in the Pack-N-Play, which was set up in the apartment that adjoins my parents house (where we were all sleeping). The four adults were all chatting in the living room, a good distance from the Pack-N-Play, and, to be completely honest, I forgot about Ethan and left him in time-out for about ten minutes. All of the sudden, that little warning bell that says it's been too quiet for too long went off in my head, and I went in search of Caleb. I found him inside the Pack-N-Play with Ethan. He had carried two or three loads of toys all the way from the play room to the apartment living room (quite a distance). When the Pack-N-Play was full enough with toys, Caleb climbed in himself, and the two of them were happily playing together in Ethan's time-out prison :)

1 comment:

katherine said...

I just posted about the potty challenge on road trips, too. Our road trip wasn't even a road trip though. We only went about an hour away. :)