Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gymnastics

Caleb started gymnastics last Monday. We were really blessed in that there is only one other child in his "class", making it more of a semi-private lesson for the price of a class. (The normal capacity is six preschoolers.) Since it has just been the two of them this week and last week, the instructor spends more of the lesson on the main floor of the gym, rather than in the scaled-down preschool room upstairs.

Caleb LOVED every minute of the first lesson, and despite all the distractions of VBS, he asked me almost every day the whole next week when he could "go back to 'nastics class." He did very well in the second lesson as well. He was so poised on the balance beam that the instructor stopped spotting him and let him go across on his own. On the second lesson, she showed him how to walk the balance beam backwards. He was able to do that about as well as I could as an adult. His favorite part of the lesson is the square trampoline. He says it lets him jump "as high as the birds in the sky." My favorite part is watching him on the bar. I remember from gymnastics as a child how challenging I found the different bar moves to be, and it makes me so proud to see his little face concentrating on doing it just like the teacher.

Now at home, he keeps telling Ethan that "you can go to 'nastics when you are bigger like me."

No comments: