Thursday, May 13, 2010

Seriously?

I had an interesting conversation with Ethan at the grocery store this morning. Caleb was at school, so Ethan and I were strolling through the aisles of Publix on our own. We passed a mother with a little girl who looked to be about four-years-old. The girl asked her mother if she could get out of the cart and help, and the mother said, "In just a minute, sweetie." We had made it a couple of aisles away when Ethan piped up with, "Dat girl want to help her Mommy, but her Mommy say No." After pausing for a moment to figure out that he was talking about the pair from a few minutes ago, I replied, "Honey, I think her Mommy said, 'Just a minute, sweetie'." Ethan cocked his head to the side and looked at me quizzically, as if surprised that I could be so thick-headed, and said, confident as the sun, "Dat means 'NO', Mommy."

It's more than a little scary how much a 2-year-old really understands.

No comments: