Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Garden Update

I have not been exceptionally busy lately, but neither have I had many ideas of things to blog about, hence the reticence.

My garden is doing well this year. Scaling back on the variety and just planting what grew well last year was a good move. The only transplant that is not thriving is one of the four pepper plants. Not sure why it's dying, but I'm just going to pull it and plant another one. That'll tell me if it was the plant or if it is the spot in the garden. My strawberries are doing great...I pick 5-7 ripe strawberries every day, and have been for a couple of weeks. Based on last year plants, I should continue to maintain this harvest of 35-50 strawberries a week through late September. I have two peppers and about ten little baby green tomatoes growing, and all four basil plants are thriving. We've already used fresh basil for homemade pesto and spaghetti sauce in the past week.

Because the garden is on the deck where the kids play all the time, it is so easy to water and weed and otherwise tend to it. It is actually not a chore at all and pure fun for me. I know a bigger garden in the yard would be a lot more work and much less fun, but this one is just right for this life stage.

3 comments:

Flowers said...

You seems to be an ardent lover of garden art like me. It was nice going through your blog. keep on posting.

Miracle said...

Wow, I'm impressed! We have a garden, but I struggle every year to get it to produce well. What did you do to your strawberries? We have two large pots of strawberry plants, and I get maybe 10 total from each pot for the entire season!

Rachel said...

Miracle, we did a loose version of square foot gardening to prepare extra-rich soil when I planted the strawberry plants last year. Then I fertilized them with organic fertilizer this spring, and pruned off about half of the leaves to allow the runners more sunlight. Hope that helps!