Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why Are You Whining?

Last week, a friend and her 3-year-old son were over at our house for a play date. The boys were playing with some blocks together while my friend and I chatted. I stopped talking for a minute to listen to the boys work out a conflict. Caleb had placed a block and the little boy protested, "Not right there. Put it over here." Caleb said, "Hmmm, okay, we'll put it over there, if you like that," and proceeded to move the block. For some reason, right at that moment, the other little boy made an unhappy noise of some sort. Caleb stopped moving and looked at his friend with the most incredulous look I've ever seen on his face. And then he said in a voice and tone much older than his three years: "Why are you whining? I gave you what you wanted!"

My friend and I laughed so hard that we were holding our sides.

And, yes, I admit that, in moments of confused frustration, I have said that exact some thing to Caleb's demanding little brother.

No comments: