Friday, February 26, 2010

Still Sick

So my two-week-long cold has brought a strange symptom to the table. I've been experiencing sharp, shooting pain through the right half of my skull, including the jaw, cheek, ear and head areas. The episodes occur at varying intensities all through the day and night. I thought at first it was an ear infection and started taking an antibiotic, but when the shooting pain didn't go away, I went to the doctor. He said my ear was not infected and prescribed me a stronger antibiotic to treat me for sinusitis, since I am still very congested. He also told me to take Aleve for the unilateral head pain. Aleve diminishes the intensity of the episodes, but if I skip taking it even for a few hours, the pain is pretty intense.

Since I have always enjoyed very good health and even getting a cold is a rarity for me, it is totally freaking me out to be taking Aleve all the time. I have a borderline phobia of being dependent on any drug for any reason, and just thinking about the fact that I have been taking Aleve around the clock for days is enough to start a mini panic-attack. In the past, I would rarely even take Tylenol for a headache or Sudafed for a stuffy nose. I believe in the body healing itself with extra sleep, good nutrition, and a little help from vitamins. I also believe in allowing my body to give me biofeedback if something about my lifestyle needs to be changed. Like I get a headache if I do too much in one day or stress myself out with worry, so I'd prefer to adjust my stress level rather than mask the headache symptom with Tylenol. If there is an all-natural way to get over something, I will always try that and 95% of the time, it works. So the fact that this cold has been dragging on for so long and now I've got this weird head pain with it is kinda stressing me out.

No comments: