Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer Break

Since I posted the details about my homeschooling routine in May, I feel like I should also let you all know that we have not maintained our schedule at all this summer. I decided in early June to take all of June & July off of our routine, partly due to VBS and vacation, but mostly just because both I and the kids needed a break. Since June 1st, we have been going on play dates and/or outings every morning and then just playing outside after naps. We go to the zoo and the science center every week, and sometimes twice a week. We also go to friend's houses and have friends over here. Both kids are loving all this extra social time, as am I (of course).

I'm really enjoying this change of pace, though I can see that the lack of structure is causing the boys to annoy each other more quickly when we are at home, and I'm regularly frustrated by the fact that "free play" for boys is more often destructive than not. All in all though, I think it is good for them to entertain themselves a little more and to work out some conflict with minimal instruction/interference. Like everything else in life, all things in moderation is the best way to go, and I have no doubt I will dive back into homeschooling with new energy and ideas as soon as August rolls around.

2 comments:

April said...

I love your profile picture, Rachel! You are beautiful. Glad you're enjoying the summertime activities. It is nice to have a break from routine, and that makes it nice to find that routine once again.

Emily said...

Hey! I found your blog and wanted to give you our blog address:
johnandemilymann.blogspot.com

John said the ortho department is looking for a PA. He said they might want a nurse practicioner instead but it's worth a try. She may be too qualified for what they need. The doctor to contact is Dr. Theiss. I will also get the secretary's information. She is super nice and she will probably be more helpful! John said the timing is good because the department was just approved to hire someone. I hope it works out! I'll email you more info tonight when John gets home. It was good to see you yesterday!
Emily