Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Garden Update

It's been slightly more than a month since we planted our garden. (See original post for a "before" picture: http://ramblingsofawifeandmother.blogspot.com/2009/06/veggie-garden.html) I had to replant a few of the green bean plants because a few seeds didn't germinate, and we may have to replant one of the broccoli plants since it seems to be wilting away, but other than that everything is doing well. Below is a picture of our first bell pepper, which is still only about half of its full size. Several other baby ones are growing, and the first strawberry bloom appeared this morning. All ten green bean plants are growing strong, the okra plant looks great (no blooms yet), the carrot tops look good, and all nine spinach plants are growing, though 1-2 may end up needing replanted. The only thing I have harvested already are leaves from the herb plants, but in another month I'm sure I'll have a list of fruits/veggies we have eaten straight from the garden!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to do this!!! Wonder if I have to get an OK from the ARC committee in my HOA?? Do you think it could last through a hurricane if I left it built close to the ground or maybe I could use individual little tubs sat side by side? I did it when the kids were little in NC and they LOVED it...both in the resident apts & in Davidson! Now I want to do it with the grandkids!! Wonder how different the Florida summer plants would have to be? Am open for ideas great gardening leader!!

sonyagraykey said...

yeah for y'all! we do a co-op & love it.