Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Veggie Garden!

I'm so excited to finally have a garden...my first since I was a child. (My dad kept a pretty big garden and we ate fresh vegetables for many years when I was growing up.) The fact that we finally have one now is thanks to a friend who gave me a book called Square Foot Gardening. I read it cover-to-cover in a few days, and I couldn't wait to get started. The basic concept is that you plan your garden based on 1-foot-squares rather than the traditional rows, resulting in a much lower-maintenance garden, no wasted space, and just the right amount of harvest for your family. If you have any interest in gardening, but have been held back by space or time concerns, I really recommend this book.

I chose to go with a raised garden box on my deck. The deck gets plenty of sunlight, and there are very few bugs since it is a long way down to the yard and trees below. Also, the kids and I spend at least an hour out there every day, and so it doesn't require any change in our routine to water and maintain the garden.

Saturday was our marathon gardening day. I had already planned the dimensions, materials and location for the garden, so we started the day with a trip to Home Depot to buy the supplies (one of 3 trips that day). I bought the wood and had it cut, and then brought everything home for Marcus to build the box. While the kids napped, we put the 2'x8' box together and up on the posts. Mixing the soil in the raised garden was the most fun, especially because the kids got to participate. We "made" the soil based loosely on the formula in the book (combination of garden soil, peat moss, compost and sand). We opened bag after bag and mixed them together by hand. The kids loved being up to their elbows in dirt, and I have to admit Marcus and I had a lot of fun with it, too! We ended the day with baths and a final trip to Home Depot to buy some transplants (I'd already bought seeds). Sunday afternoon, we planted the garden. Now there is okra, broccoli, bell peppers, spinach, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, oregano, and best of all, strawberries, all growing on my deck! I am SO excited, and I will let you all know how the harvest turns out :)


5 comments:

katherine said...

I like the idea of putting it on the deck. We have zero sunlight in the backyard, but that's the exact book I plan to use when we buy a different house with a sunny backyard. Your backyard looks beautiful, by the way. I hope you post progress pictures of your garden. I'm excited for you!

Vicky said...

I think it is so cool that it's on your deck!! It's handy and lots of sun.

Jennifer said...

Okay, this is great. There's no way I have the time or energy right now to do an in the ground garden with rows, but I could totally see doing this. We might have to try it next summer. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

Jennifer said...

P.S. The clothes you sent with your mom are SOO cute - I LOVE putting the boys in matching outfits, and those hats and gloves are the cutest I've ever seen! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Hooray for growing edibles at home! I love the little raised garden. That looks like just the right size for your family, and I am sure that you will enjoy it. Florida gardens are on summer hiatus right now, and I am looking forward to fall gardening, again.