Sunday, September 7, 2008

Eating Solids & Rainy Days

We gave Ethan solids for the first time last Sunday. We gave him a mashed banana with rice cereal. He LOVED it! Some babies are a little hesitant when they taste something other than breastmilk or formula. Not Ethan...he kept sucking the spoon as hard as he could trying to get more out of it. Actually, the hard part was getting the spoon out of his mouth each time to put more food on it! He ate every drop of what I prepared, and would have eaten more, but I didn't want to give him too much at first. He hasn't had anything solid since that day because we've been dealing with the not-sleeping and didn't want to risk any intestinal factors keeping him up, but I think I'll start introducing solids again this week since he enjoyed it so much.


On another note, Caleb loves playing in the rain. It started a few weeks ago when we were loading up into the car to go to the Science Center (which Caleb LOVES), and I opened the garage door. Caleb noticed immediately that it was lightly raining, and he asked me very sweetly, "Mama, I play in da rain?" I reminded him that we were going to one of his favorite places, but he replied with carefully-controlled frustration. "No go to da party place. 'tay home and play in da rain!" I decided it was pointless to battle with him about going somewhere that was supposed to be for his enjoyment, especially since he was doing such a good job of using his words and controlling his emotions. So I said "Okay, Caleb" and took Ethan back out of the car seat. The weather was warm, so I stripped Caleb down to his T-shirt and flip-flops and dragged Ethan's exersaucer out into the garage, and Caleb and I went to town in the rain. We jumped in the puddles and danced & skipped up and down the driveway. Ethan loved watching our silly antics from his dry perch in the garage. From that day, anytime it is raining lightly, Caleb is out on the deck or in the driveway with one of us, playing in the rain.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

I was just going to ask you for more pictures. You must have read my mind. They are great. The boys are soooo cute. Of course, what else would they be?

Love,
Mom

Bottom Blessings said...

Ethan is looking more like his own little self now and not so much like Caleb.....at least to me. I'm sure you get different opinions from everyone. I'm also so glad to see that Caleb isn't potty trained yet either. Have you been getting this statement...."He's awfully smart to not be potty trained." That one is my fav!

April said...

I LOVED talking on the phone with you today. I've been a bit lonely lately as our closest friends have moved away, all within the past year. For some reason it really hit me today. Your call really cheered me up and reminded me of special friends, even if you do live in another state!!! Love ya!