Monday, November 22, 2010

Vitamins & Colds

So I've given up on taking prenatal vitamins with this pregnancy.  Marcus wonders why it has taken me this long to give up, but I just kept hoping that my stomach would toughen up enough to be able to handle it.  A few days ago, I cut my vitamin up into four pieces and took it over a period of two hours, methodically interspersing each quarter with food.  Unfortunately, I still puked up everything I'd eaten in the past twelve hours within an hour of downing the vitamin.  So, I am finally conceding to what Marcus and my doctor have maintained: if the vitamins are causing you to lose nutrients then they're not beneficial.  Unfortunately, vitamins are also my best defense against winter colds and other viruses, especially when my immunities are weakened by pregnancy.  Ethan has had a nighttime cough & a little congestion (no fever) for more than a week, and I finally caught it this weekend, I was congested and achy all day Saturday and Sunday morning.  Thankfully, it didn't turn into a full-blown respiratory bug and I'm feeling almost as good as new today, but I am nervous about the planned travels to Arkansas and Florida in the next few weeks without my body having the immuno-benefit of vitamins.

No comments: