Friday, January 29, 2010

Potty Training Begins Again

So I've always heard that second children pick up things sooner and faster, but I did NOT see this coming: Ethan has started potty training! And this is totally child-directed. For a couple of months, he's been going pee-pee in the potty right before he gets in the bath, but that was it. He even dropped a few 2's in the pot on random occasions, but it was more like he just happened to be sitting on the potty when the urge to go hit him (which isn't terribly surprising since he poops about five times a day). But about a week ago, he has started telling me when he has to go pee-pee. He is peeing in the potty 8-10 times a day, though still regularly wetting diapers as well. If he is naked, he will ALWAYS go in the potty, but if he is wearing a diaper, it is 50/50. I'm wondering if I should just put him in underwear at 22 months and see what happens, but the 12-month saga of potty-training Caleb is still too fresh in my memory for such ambition. I think I'll just keep helping him go when he wants to, and keep him in diapers for the time being. I could change my mind, but I'm not anxious to start all that frustration all over again if he's really not as ready as he's acting right now.

But for posterity, I have to share this: Ethan has a little blue Baby Bjorn potty seat in the bathroom, right next to "Bubba's big boy potty." This is what he uses all day long, and he LOVES to sit down, do his business, and then jump up to see how much he's produced. He quickly pronounces it "a LOT" or "a lil bit", and then proceeds to pick up the potty bowl, dump it in the toilet, flush the toilet, and even RINSE OUT THE POTTY BOWL HIMSELF. He puts it back in his potty chair and pronounces it "all clean". Sometimes, he enjoys this process so much that he sits back down, makes some more pee-pee, and does it all over again. Marcus and I think that cleaning out his own potty won't last more than a week, but I want to be sure to get it on video tape before he gets tired of it :)

1 comment:

Sean Platt said...

Wowzers all over the place! Congratulations on your little guy. That sounds excellent.