Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mothers Day Out, Preschool, Daycare...

So it's late January and Caleb will be three-years-old in two short months. Ever since we moved to Birmingham 7 months ago, people have been asking me where Caleb goes to "school". At first I explained that I didn't work, thinking they were asking about daycare. When it became clear that my explanation was not making sense, I assumed that they had grossly misjudged Caleb's age, and went on to explain that he was only two-years-old. I still got blank looks. It took several of these interactions for me to realize that here in Birmingham, EVERYONE, stay-at-home moms included, sends their kids to full or part time preschool starting between 18 months and 2 1/2 years. From what I can gather, preschool, unlike daycare, lasts from 9:00/9:30 am until 1:00/1:30 pm. The pattern seems to go something like this: 2 days a week at age 2; 3 days a week at age 3; and then 5 days a week until kindergarten. In Gainesville, no stay-at-home mom that I knew sent their children to preschool. Occasionally I would hear a working mom say something like "I picked [my two-year-old] up from school" and I would chuckle inside at the euphemistic use of "school" for "daycare". It wasn't until I was asked literally DOZENS of times here in Birmingham, "So where does Caleb go to school?" that I began to realize the cultural difference.

I still haven't gained a complete understanding of the preschool thing, but the best I can tell, the parental motivation is a combination of three things:
(1) To socialize their toddlers in a classroom setting.
(2) To allow the children to "get ahead" a little and be well-prepared for kindergarten.
(3) To give themselves some time during the week to run errands and get things done.

Now these all seem like reasonable things, and so I have turned the idea over in my mind many times for the past eight months. (The extra consideration it has recieved is largely due to the shocked look on the other mother's face when I finally get it across to her that Caleb is not in any sort of preschool program.) Here are my conclusions so far:

(1) Socialization: Caleb is with other children in church for an hour or two every week. We also attend a playgroup of some sort at least once a week. And we also have six other kids age 2-4 in our home during our church life group meeting every week. Plus, Caleb regularly plays with other kids at parks, at the gym, and in his gymnastics class. This seems to me to be an adequate amount of social time, and I even prefer the fact that Marcus or I am present during many of these activities so we can teach and reinforce positive social interactions.

(2) Getting Ahead: As I have explored the idea of preschool, I have visited and called several locations. I have looked at different preschool curriculums and been unimpressed by the content. Everything I've seen in the written curriculums is something that Caleb has already mastered and that we review in various ways at home and in our play. In fact I haven't seen a 3-year-old curriculum (in my local search) that includes anything beyond letter-recognition (and mostly not even that). Like many children his age, Caleb has known his capitals for months and is now learning lower case, practicing phonetic sounds, and learning how to write a few capital letters. (Brag moment: he can write A, M, V, O, T and X). Though I see the value in reinforcing color, number and letter recognition, I do not see any advantage to doing that in a preschool setting vs. what occurs in the natural parent-child interaction of a home setting.

(3) Break Time: Though I can definitely identify with the convenience of having 8-12 hours a week with only a baby vs. a preschooler and a baby, I'm not convinced that it is advantageous overall. I'm very practical about things like this, so this is how I see it. I have the boys on my own for about 60 hours a week (6 am to 6 pm, M-F). On average, Caleb naps for a total of about 12 hours during that time. So that leaves me with 48 hours each week. A preschool program would have him for 8-12 hours a week, which is 15% to 25% of my total "work week". Seems a little excessive for a break. Also, I lose all of those hours with Caleb, during which I could have been continuing to teach him the things that most matter to me: showing kindness to Ethan, helping with chores around the house, praying through moments of frustration, etc. Plus, I think it is good for him to go on errands with me and learn to wait patiently in the checkout. I think I already messed things up a bit with him by avoiding doing chores or anything else while he was awake during his first 18-months of life, hence giving him the impression that life revolves around him and everyone should do whatever he wants to do at the moment. We are slowly rectifying that now, but I think part of that correction is having him participate in the not-fun things as well as the things he enjoys.

Well, these are my thoughts and the summation of why I have not yet attempted to carve out the $125-$200 a month for 2-day-a-week preschool, even with the fall registration deadlines of mid-February fast-approaching. Regardless, I am blogging about it today because, clearly, everyone I've talked to around here thinks that I am costing Caleb something significant by depriving him of the preschool experience. If any of you have more insight into this than what I have surmised, I would enjoy your input. Or if any of you have come to the same conclusion as me, I could always use a little reinforcement from my all-over-the-country friends, since my Birmingham friends seem to be all of one mind.

3 comments:

April said...

My advice is this: Do what YOU want to do and what YOU think is best for YOUR boys. You won't regret doing what you believe is best. No matter what other people say...

That said. I enrolled Mackenzie in a Mother's Day Out program at age 3 1/2 years old as she was BEGGING to go to school. She loved it; I cried, but I do think it was best for her. She was only there on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9a-2p. (Actually a little less as drop off was about 9:15 and pick up at 1:45p.) She was only there for about 2 months and then it was summertime at home! She began in August in the 4 year old class, again just two days a week. I'm finding this is GREAT Kindergarten preparation from a social and emotional readiness perspective...she really did not need the academic boost, though her MDO program is structure as a preschool with the A Beka cirriculum rather than a "babysitting" service. All in all, I'm keeping Josiah home until he's closer to 3 1/2 or 4 years old because I think they'll get plenty of time in school later on...and they NEED all the time they can get with you during those formative years!

I had planned to keep them both home until Kindergarten, but I was convinced by a friend (and rightly so) that Mackenzie would do well to have at least a school year of the two day a week before K as the K prgrams here are NOT half days like they were when we were kids. K's here go from 7:45am until 2:30pm! I think it would have been a shock to her and me if she had gone from being only at home to a full time K program. I am VERY pleased with our decision. You might consider checking into the K times in your area and evaluating what the boys need based on that, too.

You do what you know is best for you and your family. That's the bottom line. What works for one person may not be the best for the next one...

Hope that helps! Keep us posted!

katherine said...

If I don't leave a comment on this post now I think it will never happen. I love how you've analyzed this--makes my job easier when I'm trying to evaluate the same decision. It sounds like you don't have to be convinced that there's no good reason for you to send Caleb to preschool but just that you need a little confirmation that you're normal. I think you're perfectly normal. Around here, it seems most moms of 2 year olds or older kids have their child in a program at least one to two days a week, but it is not expected and no one thinks you're weird if you don't. I think there is plenty of time for scheduled activities and structured learning time and that 2 is a little young for that. I know that you'll continue to evaluate Caleb's needs and that you'll start from scratch with Ethan and not assume he's the same as his brother. I think Anna would really dislike a structured preschool environment, but I could be surprised. If I put her in an MDO program it would be because I don't get close to 12 hours of nap time during my "work week." 10 hours would be a GREAT nap week. We haven't had one of those in a while. But then I think about how short my time with her at home already is and I'm in no hurry to cut it down any more. My mind may change if there's ever another Kruger child vying for my attention. We will see. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Michael and Hannah said...

I did not plan on starting Wesley in preschool until next fall (right after he turns 4), but after he turned 3, he began to notice that most of his friends went to school, and he started BEGGING us to go to school. So I found a 3 morning a week co-op preschool, and started him after Christmas. He LOVES it. His enrollment was all about him... had nothing to do with our wants or peer pressure. The kid just wanted to go to school! It's actually given me much less freedom than more, but it's so worth it, hearing him talk about his school with such pride! I'd say that if Caleb is like Wesley and would love shchool, it's worth every penny. If he's more of a homebody, then I wouldn't worry about it.