Monday, January 23, 2012

New Job & Girls' Weekend

Marcus is nearing the end of nine years of post-graduate medical training.  This coming summer, on June 30th, he will complete his residency in radiation oncology.  This past summer and fall, Marcus spent a good amount of time researching job opportunities and interviewed for several positions.  From the very first interview in June of 2011, one oncology group stood out among the others.  He called me just hours after that interview and I could hear the big smile in his voice when he said, "Well, Rach, it looks like we are moving to ___________."  He had nothing but good to say about the group, his potential co-workers, and the town.  Through the rest of the summer and fall, he continued to explore positions here in Birmingham and in his hometown of Melbourne, but no matter how hard he tried to "make them work," he just kept coming back to this job.  Though I love our lives here in Birmingham, and I will miss our friends and church here tremendously, I knew Marcus needed to go for the job that he felt so drawn to.

So (drum roll time), in about six months, we will be opening a new chapter of our lives in Chattanooga, TN!!!  Marcus signed his contract just a couple of weeks before Christmas, and we have been busy getting this house ready to sell, as well as doing some looking around for a new place in Chattanooga.  In fact, Marcus gave me the most wonderful gift of a couple of days house-shopping with my BFF in Chattanooga.  We drove up on Saturday morning, looked at about five houses, ate dinner at the hopping Blue Water Grill, hung out in our hotel's hot tub, and then talked until we fell asleep!  Sunday morning, we visited Clear Creek Church together and spent a couple more hours driving around and exploring the northern Chattanooga area. Q discovered this great little neighborhood that I love.  I have a feeling we are going to end up living in one of those houses :)  We met up with our realtor one more time to look inside a few more houses, and then headed back to Birmingham to resume our lives as wives and mothers.  This was the first night that I have spent away from my kids in 2.5 years, and I was ready for it!  Thanks, honey, for a perfect gift!

1 comment:

Brian, Glenda, Oliver & Madelyn said...

Hey Rachel, it's been a long time.. Sounds like you guys are up for another adventure. I love to check your blog from time to time and see how you're doing. I'm very excited for you and the family.