Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It Begins

Caleb's first day of kindergarten was today.  We are now officially a "school" family.  Mornings, daytime activities, vacations, and just about everything else will all be subject to the school calendar from here on out.  Since this had to come, at least we had a very successful kick-off:  Caleb had a great day and says he can't wait to go back tomorrow.  I asked him if he liked his classroom, his classmates, his teacher, the toys in his classroom, the playground, and everything else I could think of, and every reply was positive.  The only negative thing he had to say was that he hadn't found a new best friend yet (he had set his sites high for the first day of school :).

The whole family came in to walk Caleb to his classroom this morning.  Daddy got to meet his teacher and snap a few pictures while Mommy helped Caleb sort his supplies and corral little brother.  Caleb walked confidently into his classroom and hugged us all goodbye without a hint of separation anxiety.  He didn't seem nervous at all this morning, and jumped right in to what the other kids were doing.  Maybe it was his confidence, but for some reason, I didn't get emotional at any point.  Caleb has been ready for this for months, and I am very, very happy for the opportunities that kindergarten is going to offer him.  At home, Caleb's needs regularly take a backseat to Lydia's & Ethan's, and I am really glad that he will have these four hours of developmentally-appropriate activities every day.

After the family drop-off, Marcus suggested that I take Ethan to Krispy Kreme to offset all the fuss around Caleb.  I thought that was a great idea and headed straight there.  Then Marcus surprised us by showing up at Krispy Kreme and enjoying some donuts with us.  I was so glad that the first day of school fell on a day when he could go in an hour or so late, so that he could be a part of everything.  (And the Krispy Kreme surprise was an even bigger bonus!)

The only part about today that I was not pleased with was the carpool line.  Dropping Caleb off in the morning was smooth and hassle-free, but the pick-up process was kind of miserable.  Ethan and L ydia both took naps in the car while I waited 45 minutes in the carpool line!  I had no idea it would take that long.  I think it may get a little better in the future, since there was some confusion among the parent drivers about which way to go, but still!

We went straight from school to get haircuts with our favorite Mr. Mickey, and I'll close with a conversation Caleb and I had while there:

Mr. Mickey:  So Caleb, what did you have for a snack in kindergarten today?
Caleb:  Just apples (in a droll tone of voice).  That's all Mommy gave me (droller still).
Mommy:  Well, didn't the other kids have fruit for a snack, as well?  (the teacher's note had requested that we send healthy snacks)
Caleb:  NO!  They had really super yummy snacks!
Mommy:  Oh yeah?  Like what?
Caleb:  Cookies, and popsicles.  A LOT of people had popsicles!
Mommy:  Really, Caleb?  So, if I call Mrs. Ketchum on my phone right here, she is going to tell me that a lot of the kids in your class ate popsicles for a snack today at school, right?
Caleb:  Ummm, I don't think so.
Mommy:  What will she tell me?
Caleb:  She will probably tell you that everyone had fruit for a snack, just like me.  'cept one kid at table four, and I know he had a popsicle.

 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Caleb looks so excited to be going to school. You were just like him when you went to kindergarten - no hesitation at all!

Lydia looks SO BIG!! I know they grow so fast at that age.

I'm curious how Ethan felt about Caleb being gone all morning.

Jennifer said...

Big Boy! I'm so glad his first day of school went well!