Friday, May 22, 2009

Homeschooling

Those of you who know me well know that I have always been a big fan of homeschooling. I have known so many homeschooled kids who were mature beyond their years, well-grounded in their faith, and only minimally influenced by popular culture (even during their teenage years). On the other hand, Marcus has not known many homeschooling families and does not have strong feelings one way or the other. So we are both keeping an open mind, watching Caleb and Ethan, and regularly re-evaluating what type of education will be best for them. The decision for kindergarten will be largely based on what school options we have for Caleb, and the learning preferences and social needs that we observe in him at that time.

All that being said, I am a teacher at heart, and I have been "homeschooling" Caleb for over a year now. Each month, I make up a curriculum (adapted from the previous month). It is actually more a "play guide" than an academic curriculum, but it is very helpful to me because it helps me keep our play focused on constructive, learning-oriented activities. The frequent transitions helps avoid monotony, though I never interupt one thing to start another. When one activity is losing momentum, whether it's been 10 minutes or 45 minutes, I let that come to a close and we start something different. I check off everything we get to each day, though frequently a play date or an extra outing will cause us to skip one or two items each day. I stay very flexible with the routine, and we never follow the exact order all day. Everything is geared toward Caleb, but Ethan participates as much as he can, because he wants to do anything that Caleb is doing. (All of the below is in table form on my play room wall, but blogger won't take tables so it's in a list here.)

7:00 Devotional & Breakfast (read a Bible story, pray and practice memory verse)
7:30 Imaginary Play (story game, role playing with people/figurines)
8:00 ABC’s and Numbers (identify, count/sort items, phonics)
8:30 Critical Thinking (puzzles, board game, card game, science experiment)
9:00 Educational TV (Caleb watch video, often in Spanish; Ethan naps)
9:30 Creative Time (draw, color, paint, play dough, cut & glue paper)
10:00 Music (sing songs, listen to music, play toy instruments)
10:30 Read Books (3-5 picture books)
11:00 Errands & Lunch
1:00 Nap & Post-nap Snack
4:00 Outside Recreation (ride bike, walk, tumble, jump, dance, play outside)
4:30 Sports (throw, catch, kick, score goals, dribble, shoot, bat)
5:30 Dinner & Bath
6:30 Build w/ Daddy (Tinker Toys, train set, Duplos, blocks)
7:30 Help With a Chore (pick up toys, load dishwasher, cooking w/ Mama)
8:00 Books & Bedtime
I'm recording this for my own family record, and also in case any of you out there have a 3-year-old who you are trying to "homeschool" :) By the way, Mimi, that is a Highlights magazine that Caleb is looking at in the picture. He LOVES those things, and we read the whole thing from cover to cover every day for at least a week after it comes. Final disclaimer: you all should know that this whole thing went out the window for about three months after Ethan was born.

4 comments:

melanie said...

so, can I send Daisy to your house? I know she is 4. But she is WAY behind cause I have never done any of that. Poor Daisy. Seriously...maybe intersession in Bham for Dais? :)

I jest. You are such a great mama. And you can tell it by your sweet, SMART boys. :)

Jessica Jacobs said...

Hi, I ran across your blog and I really like your schedule, but I have one question, How do you get housework done? Is it easier because you're keeping him busy all day? I have a 2 year old, and she is constantly making messes and I feel like I have to follow her around and clean up her messes.

Gioietta said...

Rachel you are good at organizing! I can see you are already doing great as a homeschooling mom. Jon and I are still weighing our options. I've been doing a little research and am looking into classical schooling, which is a method used mostly in homeschooling and some private schools.
I am sure you were on the list of friends to send my new blog site, thanks for letting me know. As soon as I get things rolling (hopefully before next year, LOL!) I'll be sending out an email. Take care and hugs to your little boys!

Creative Crafter said...

Hi! I am a homeschooling mom in Gainesville. I came across your blog because our friends are friends if that makes sense. Anyways I have a 5 and 3 yr old boys that I have been homeschooling...plus tons of materials I could share if you ever need it. Or if you want to share ideas. You can email me at luv2homeschool@gmail.com