Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bugs

We do not have a beautifully-manicured backyard.  It is actually mostly weeds, if not entirely.  But it is awesome for hunting bugs.  There is an old, partially-broken, stone walking path, and under every stone is a small colony of bugs, especially roly polies.  For more than a week now, the boys' very first morning activity (after breakfast) has been bug-hunting.  They spend at least an hour, sometimes two, outside with their bug bowls.  When they are done hunting, we take a picture of all the bugs they've caught, talk about the interesting ones, and then let them go for another day (I seriously wonder if they are catching the same bugs day after day...I'm pretty sure I've seen that big roly poly with the speckles before...)

I LOVED critters as a kid, not bugs as much as birds, reptiles & small mammals, but I have many happy memories of time spent outside (and inside) with my little adoptees.  My parents were always really cool about letting me raise & care for all kinds of animals.  I plan to follow in their footsteps, if any of my kids have the same interest.  Either way, I'm glad to see the boys enjoying God's creation so much right now on these beautiful spring mornings.

 The area of the yard where the boys find most of their bugs.
 Caleb's bug collection from yesterday morning:
 
  Ethan's morning bounty

The bugs just after we let them go yesterday.

1 comment:

katherine said...

Anna loves bugs, too, but we don't have any good spots to hunt them in our yard. Too bad I can't send her over to yours.