Monday, March 7, 2011

Ethan (Monthly Update)

Ethan is one month shy of his third birthday now!  A new development in Ethan's world is a recent obsession with shorts.  He was so excited when he put his first pair of shorts on after six months of pants.  He really does not like pants, shoes or socks.  When forced to wear pants because it is cold outside, he insists on having them rolled two or three times so they don't even touch his ankles, and he is usually barefoot in the house (even though the tile floors are FREEZING in winter).  

Since the first day that I let him wear shorts several weeks ago, his first question every morning is "Can I put some shorts on, Mommy?"  Sometimes I have to say no because we are going somewhere and the high is barely going to be 60, but most of the time I say yes and am duly rewarded with a huge grin.  Since shorts came into the picture, Ethan is usually fully dressed within five minutes of waking up.  Today he even dug out a pair of Caleb's old sandals from the shoe bin and wore them all day long, calling them "my flip-flopping shoes, cuz they go flip, flop, flip, flop when I walk."

Ethan is just hilarious when he gets into trouble (which is a frequent occurrence).  He is so good at distracting the scolding parent or teacher (or brother) from what he just did, or at least making us smile while we dole out the consequences.  Here is a classic, almost formulaic example:

Mommy:  Ethan, did you just throw that car at Caleb?
Ethan:  Sorry, it was an accident and not on purpose (it was definitely on purpose).  But I didn't throw the space ship at his head! (in a tone of, "Look at the bright side, Mom!")  Mommy, are you wearing lipstick on your lips?  You look kind of like a princess right now." (I haven't even showered yet, let alone put on make-up)

And so he goes, talking nonstop with excuses, alternative perspectives and even flattery until the hearer smiles and Ethan knows that whatever consequence is coming has at least been mitigated.  At the same time that I see the humor of all this, I also know how destructive such a gift can be and I work extra hard not to fall under his spell.  But, as I teach him to use his quick tongue and quick mind to bless others and not to use them, I'm going to continue to enjoy seeing him in action :)

In the discipline arena, Ethan has been a little on the rambunctious / mischievous / limit-pushing side lately.  I think he is dealing with a little angst about Mommy's growing tummy.  He does not like that my lap is not as available (purely because of space) as it used to be, and he really does not like that I will rarely carry him anywhere anymore.  He doesn't seem to mind all the new baby things emerging from closets and coming home from baby showers, though, and he is very excited about meeting his baby sister.  He puts his ear on my tummy sometimes and tells me what she is saying.  His eyes lit up like stars when we explained that he was soon going to be a big brother to her just like Caleb is a big brother to him.  I'm very much looking forward to observing and being a part of this new brother/sister relationship.

That's all I can think of in Ethan-land this month.  Just six more weeks (or less!) until we become a family of five.  I'm getting more and more excited every day!!!!!

1 comment:

katherine said...

That is hilarious! I would definitely have a very tough time keeping straight face.