Friday, December 3, 2010

Black Friday Shopping

As I mentioned earlier, my mom and I went on our first ever baby clothes shopping trip on Black Friday.  (Thankfully, the small-town JC Penney's that we shopped at was not uncomfortably crowded.)  We had never gone shopping together for boys clothes, but, with the baby-girl news fresh on our minds, we decided it would be fun to browse the girls clothes together while I was in town.  When we got to the store, Mom told me how much she was thinking of spending.  My eyes bugged out because it was about 6x what I was expecting.  Knowing my mom is often more generous than is good for her finances, I mentally scaled the number down and then we went to town.

Carter's is my favorite brand for 0-12 month clothes, and JC Penney's Black Friday deal was 60% off all Carter's clothes.  We just decided to take one of everything we liked and then do some paring down at the register.  As we shopped, we were very pleasantly surprised to see that we were drawn to the same clothes (since our tastes in clothes have always been very different).  We quickly collected two arm loads full of pinks and purples, and then took our spoils to a table to sort through and make sure the seasons and sizes all worked.  After exchanging a few outfits for different sizes, we were ready to check out.  The whole process took just a little over an hour. When everything was rung up, we were both excited to see that we didn't have to put anything back, since the huge sale kept the total way below Mom's goal.  We ended up with about four outfits in every size, from newborn to 12 months, as well as a bath set, matching bibs, and a precious blanket.

When we got back to my parents' house, we spread out all the clothes in the living room for Daddy, Papa and the boys to "ooh" and "ahh" over.  Caleb especially enjoyed all the adorable girl clothes: he grinned his signature grin and talked happily about his baby sister.

I am ecstatic with all these baby girl things.  It's made the fact that I am going to have a daughter even more real.  As soon as I got home from Arkansas, I delighted in folding all of the clothes and putting them away. (I'll wash them in Dreft later on.)  We've been home for almost a week and I still go into the nursery every day to admire every little item :)

And it wouldn't due to close out this post without a mention of Marcus's Black Friday acquisition.  After five years of resisting the urge to buy a video game system in lieu of work, family and church responsibilities, Marcus finally decided that it was time to go ahead and do it.  So he busted out the $300+ of "fun money" that he's been saving for over a year to buy a Play Station 3 bundle from Walmart.  He had to spend most of the night at Walmart to get it, but it was $90 cheaper than retail.  I have no doubt that he and his PS3 will spend many happy hours together :)


1 comment:

katherine said...

I was going to leave a comment on the last post asking where the photos were of how you spent your Thanksgiving break--ie. pictures of you shopping for your baby girl clothes. Now I have my answer. It deserves a post all of its own. How fun! You got some really cute stuff.