Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ethan's Sleeping

Ethan is 5 1/2 weeks old, and I am very, very tired.

I didn't think so at the time, but apparently Caleb was a pretty good sleeper as a newborn (though he was definitely a poor sleeper from 3 months to 10 months). The first few months, Caleb would get up 2 or 3 times each night, but he would almost always go right back to sleep. Ethan, on the other hand, is awake and alert for 2-4 hours every night between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am. He just doesn't see much difference between the day and the night yet. He "naps" all night as well as during the day. Last night, here is how he slept:

9:00 pm to 12:00 am--slept in Mommy's arms (30 min) and then in his bed
12:00 am to 12:30 am--nursed
12:30 am to 1:30 am--slept in his bed (restlessly)
1:30 am to 1:45 am--nursed and fussed
1:45 am to 2:30 am--slept in his bed
2:30 am to 4:30 am--happily awake while Mommy nursed, walked, bounced and rocked him
4:30 am to 7:00 am--slept in bed with Mommy

So he slept for 7 hours and 15 minutes, but it was so broken up and divided by longer periods of wakefulness, that I do not feel rested at all! Plus, I don't fall asleep at night until about an hour after he first goes down because I'm holding him the first 30 minutes and winding down for bed another 30 minutes. Last night I got about 5 hours of sleep in 3 different parts. The good news is, like the weather, anything with a newborn is bound to change in time. In a few weeks, I'll probably have a different sleep pattern to report...hopefully one that includes more nighttime snoozing :)

2 comments:

katherine said...

Oh, Rach, I feel your pain. I remember that tired feeling so well. Tired is such a small word to describe the exhaustion you feel--adult bodies are not designed to get by on a newborn's pattern of sleep. You sound optimistic so that's good. We've been getting up frequently around here as well since Anna is definitely teething and definitely taking a very long time to do it!

katherine said...

Oh, I also wanted to say that Ethan may not look a lot like Caleb (though I do see some similarities now) but he is certainly just as cute.