Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Birmingham Winters

As I've mentioned before, I love the climate here in northern Alabama.  Each season lasts about 3 months, which is the perfect amount of time (in my opinion).  For the most part, winter is December, January & February; spring is March, April & May; summer is June, July & August; and fall is September, October & November.  It gets pretty cold during the winter months (at least compared to Florida), but we rarely get snow or ice.  This is our third winter here, and we have had snow for 1 or 2 days each year.  That is just the right amount of snow for me, since we are a southern family and my kids will only play in the snow for about 30 minutes at a time anyway.  My favorite thing about winters here is the random warm days (or weeks) that seem to come out of nowhere.  In December, there are usually 5-7 sunshiny days during which the high is in the upper sixties (or even higher).  In January, we're lucky to get 1 or 2 nice days like that.  In February, it's usually back to 5-7 pretty days.  We're getting even more than that in February this year: this is the fourth day of temps in the high 60's, and they are predicting the same kind of beautiful, sunny days for the next five days.  We went to two parks on Monday and spent most of the day outside yesterday, so we are milking this taste of spring!  I love being outside!

No comments: