Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Good Deed...

One of our best friends often repeats the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." The first time I heard him say that over a year ago, I thought it didn't make much sense. But, since then, I have noticed it's truth in situation after situation. It does seem that many attempts at kindness, both big and small, end up with some unforeseen negative result. I am not superstitious at all, but I am going to have to admit that, very often, this saying is right on.

Last week, I commented to Marcus that it would be nice if he mowed the front yard of the vacant house down the road from us. It is for sale, and the grass had grown so high that it was obscuring the real estate sign. So this weekend, after Marcus mowed our yard, he headed up the street and mowed theirs. Well, you guessed it...he ended up hitting a big rock under all that tall grass and breaking both the mower blade and the part that attaches it. The mower is very old, and we are having trouble locating a replacement part, so we are currently mowerless. And, yet again, no good deed goes unpunished :)

No comments: